Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Catechist Preparation: Finding God: Grade 5 Chapter 3

Yesterday, I downloaded the Bill Moyer tape from Amazon because $3 is not a big deal to me.  Listened to the tape and found that it was something that I will use to prepare myself but don't think that it will be a hit with the children.  I will review it later when I have more time, as it deepens the story of Abraham for me. I'll let you know if I find anything useful for class in there.

Today, I read through the catechist's preparation.  Things that stood out was the enthronement of the Bible.  Feel that I definitely need to get the recovering of my classroom display ready for this week. Liked hearing the Old Testament referred to as a source of wisdom.  Did not know that centuries ago, Christians believed that they need to work to keep the Jewish people out of Israel as punishment for Christ's death. Of course, we need to affirm the mutual respect between all peoples- but when we see the Palestinians and Israel fighting over the same land, it is instructive for us to know that we helped create the problem.

Listened to the CD- Story of Abraham- it is very dramatic- I'm going to be looking for some pictures that helps to make that drama come alive.  Listened to CD2 reflective music- good in the beginning- thought that I would listen to it as I typed this- quickly became irritated. Maybe because writing is too much of a busy mind activity.

There were three black line masters recommended for this session.  All of them were puzzle types.  Whenever I see masters like these, I am reminded of the opening statement of a Group curriculum training I once attended.  When Group was researching why kids tuned out of religious education classes, one of the things that they learned was that kids had the idea that religious ed was hard.  God is not hard- it is not a body of knowledge- He is not a puzzle waiting to be solved.  That made an impact- and for that reason- right or wrong- I reject any activity like this.  My philosophy is the find ways to deepen the message of the lesson and to make it more meaningful and real to children.

Tomorrow I'm going to read the lesson.

No comments: